Re: Gtk Printing and gtk_dialog_run

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 10:03 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On 4/21/06, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> > This looks good to me. The one thing i'm slightly worried about is apps
> > keeping the GtkPrintOperation objetc around to long. After all the
> > rendering is done its totally safe to drop the object, but you can keep
> > it around longer to get status updates of the print job if you want.
> > This might not be obvious, and apps may keep the object around even
> > though they don't display any print job status, which will lead to
> > unnecessary polling and app memory use.
> >
> > Maybe we could make this more obvious by having another signal
> > "finished_rendering" or something? This could also restore the lost
> > error.
>
> Hmm, but that would be identical to status-changed going to one of the
> finished states, right ? Also, it probably won't help for the error, since the
> current code only returns errors if it aborts before even reaching begin-print.
> Sending a finished-rendering signal seems slightly odd if you haven't even
> begun rendering...

No, that is not the same as a finished state. The job doesn't really go
into finished state until the printer has finished printing the job. If
there are a lot of jobs on the printer, or if say the printer is out of
paper this can take a long while. There is no need to keep the
GtkPrintOperation around during this time unless you're interested in
this info.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a superhumanly strong alcoholic sorceror haunted by an iconic dead
American confidante She's a transdimensional renegade archaeologist from the
wrong side of the tracks. They fight crime!