Re: Highlevel printing API - proposal

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 23:35 +0300, Nickolay V. Shmyrev wrote:

> > Opinions on this?
>
> It would be useful for evince to have the ability to print postscript
> file created by external libraries but use standard dialog for print
> settings configuration. I think other apps which print to postscript
> first will require such ability.

This can never work as part of the platform independent API. Platforms
like Win32 just cannot print PS files directly. However, as I said in my
initial mail on the high level thoughts there are several apps that need
something like this, and we will need to make it available. But it will
be a platform specific API.

> Although I don't know exactly, probably the solution will be in creation
> of the ghostscript's cairo backend and convertion postscript to cairo
> commands first (to convert them back to postscript later)

This is a possible way to implement this that would work on all
platforms. It would mean having a full postscript interpretor like
ghostscript in gtk+ though. I don't think that is feasible.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a Nobel prize-winning guerilla inventor fleeing from a secret government
programme. She's a hard-bitten streetsmart soap star from beyond the grave.
They fight crime!