Re: GTK+ modularization

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, muppet wrote:

As i understand it, the target for this modularization is not desktops --- it's embedded devices.

Hmm, perhaps I haven't been following this closely enough. In an embedded context the slimming of GTK certainly make sense.

Therefore I heartily condone the effort to make subsets that can be turned off, but with respect to your concerns about portability of desktop apps, would suggest that these subsets are not advertised as useful for desktop systems.

Yes. I find it's surprisingly easy for people to shoot themselves in the foot, and anything that makes that less likely is welcome. (In this context, shooting self in foot = installing or building a GTK runtime that will not support all the apps the user wants to run.)

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics