Re: GTK+ 2.10, the endgame

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 11:50 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 09:56 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> > Therefore, I want to consider 2.9.3 api frozen, and take a
> > look at what still needs to happen before 2.10. Here are some
> > things I personally would like get worked on (not sure
> > how much time I can free to look into these myself):
> >
> > - I think the async filechooser conversion has caused some
> >   regressions, I noticed that .hidden support seems broken
> >   and autocompletion also behaved badly for me recently.
>
> Yes, it's quite broken at the moment.  I don't think we can do any more
> productive debugging (fixing something breaks something else) until we
> have a good set of automated tests for the basic behaviors.

Quite unfortunate. We spent too much time working on finetuning the
filechooser behaviour to leave it broken now...

> > - There is a number of FIXMEs and unimplemented bits in
> >   the print code.
> >
> > - The print backends need a careful look wrt to memory leaks
> >   and error reporting.
>
> I'm rather worried of declaring the printing API as stable and just
> unleashing it to the world.  Is any software *really* using it?  Does it
> contemplate things like

Typical chicken and egg problem that won't be solved by keeping it
unreleased for another year. There is no way to get any software
_really_ using it without releasing it first. We got quite a bit of
feedback from people looking at porting real apps to it (e.g gedit,
OOo and epiphany), so it is not as if we release it straight from
the whiteboard.

> 	- sites with thousands of printers
>
> 	- sites which want to lock-down certain printers
>
> 	- color management for apps that need it

No doubt that we may have to add new api in 2.12 to accomodate things
like this, but all of these are special cases.