GtkFileChooser/GnomeVFS backend still messing up authentication manager? (was: GTK+ 2.10, the endgame)

Am Donnerstag, den 15.06.2006, 09:56 -0400 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> I want to have GTK+ 2.10 ready at or immediately after GUADEC.
>
> I did not declare 2.9.3 api frozen in the release announcement,
> because we were still holding the door open for Kris' work on
> the new tooltips api. But he has run into some difficulties
> with the implementation which will take some time to overcome,
> so we have decided to punt this feature and try to get it
> into 2.12 early.
>
> Therefore, I want to consider 2.9.3 api frozen, and take a
> look at what still needs to happen before 2.10. Here are some
> things I personally would like get worked on (not sure
> how much time I can free to look into these myself):
>
> - I think the async filechooser conversion has caused some
>   regressions, I noticed that .hidden support seems broken
>   and autocompletion also behaved badly for me recently.
>
> - There is a number of FIXMEs and unimplemented bits in
>   the print code.
>
> - The print backends need a careful look wrt to memory leaks
>   and error reporting.
>
> Are there other important bugs or regressions that need
> attention before 2.10 ?

Some months ago I investigated an issue where the GtkFileChooser
requested file info for all shortcuts and caused mass login requests for
all bookmarked remote locations on startup that require login with the
GnomeVFS backend.

I think the issue was that the file chooser has no way of requesting
file info, but signalling at the same time that failure due to
unavailability of resources or access constraints isn't fatal, allowing
the GnomeVFS backend to not request login data when it is invoked
through gtkfilechooserdefault.c:shortcuts_reload_icons. In that case, we
may want to fall back to a folder icon.

>From reading the GTK+ HEAD source code, the shortcut code still doesn't
seem to pass any special flags, so it still seems to be relevant.

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>