Re: selected text is PRIMARY?

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

mozilla allows user having multiple selections, and it doesn't
clear selection when you select something else. It's not buggy,
it's correct (not for everyone, of course).

Not according to accepted practice.  At the very least (not even talking
about any kind of spec), one could argue that, since moz/ffx uses gtk,
it should emulate gtk's behavior.
"Accepted" here is what we currently have. I claim that mozilla
is right, and it correctly does not emulate wrong gtk behavior.
(right and wrong for many people, not for everybody, etc., etc.)

The document you posted link to tells about what X selection is
and what happens when you select text/do whatever. Question
is not what gtk does, we know that.
Question is "why am I not allowed to have multiple selections?"
"Because of X" is not the right answer.

Unfortunately it *is* the answer, regardless of whether it's "right" or
not.  You can only have one PRIMARY selection at one time.  De-selecting
all other selected text serves as visual indication of which text will
get pasted from PRIMARY.  It's of course a matter of opinion as to
whether or not that visual indication is useful and necessary, or
counter-productive and annoying.
Exactly. In my opinion it is wrong that I have this indicator.
I care more about selection in the editor more than about fact
that if I see selected text, then middle button click will paste
this text.

Adding a pref to accomodate that
sounds like an consistency-breaking kludge[1].
Well, see your footnote :)
About consistency, should we use bash/tcsh/eamcs/vi shortcuts
in GtkEntry? I believe it's same kind of question.

Maybe some people don't care about the PRIMARY selection.  Fine.  But in
a sense, you kinda have to if you want to get the most out of X's
somewhat unique (and IMHO very useful) copy/paste semantics.
Err, what exactly? Middle-button-click would still work. Do I miss
something or you mean that seeing not more than one selection
is "most of X copy/paste semantics"?

For people
who are content to do the Windows-like CLIPBOARD method and totally
ignore PRIMARY, I can understand why losing selected text would be
annoying.  But why should we dumb down the interface for the lowest
common denominator?

Because we are doing it all the time maybe?
Anyway, I do not totally ignore PRIMARY nor I want to disable
it; still, I want to have multiple selections.

 Sure, sure, it's a pref, and the default behavior
can stay the same.  Whatever.  Yay pref-bloat!
No option and half of people happy is better than letting
them choose?

"Fixing" gtk in this sense is not a magic bullet, either.  What about
custom text-entry implementations?  The GtkIMHtml WYSIWYG entry widget
in Gaim comes to mind.

Made of GtkTextView?

 They'd have to implement support for your pref.
What about custom icon view cell-editing widgets (I believe Thunar[1]
has or will have one)?  That would have to support your pref as well.
I'd bet there are others.
Sure, I have two. One is textview-derived widget where I
intentionally hack-around this GTK thing, because otherwise
"search in selected" is simply impossible.
About implementation, it's a matter of checking one gtk setting
before calling unselect() or whatever.

Best regards,
Yevgen