Re: GTK+ Mac OS X state of the union

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 03:46 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Looking good so far; I just got it all compiled.  gtk-demo runs, though
> with a bunch of visual glitches (BG of many windows is black, BG of
> parts of scrollbars is black, etc.).  If I have some more time, I'd love
> to try and tackle a few items on the TODO list.
>
> I have a question though about menu bars.  I'm sure this is a bit tricky
> to handle, but might there be a way to designate that a particular
> GtkMenuBar attached to a particular window is the "main" menubar, and
> somehow merge its contents into the OS X top-of-screen menubar?  I'm a
> little stumped as to the best way to do this, since technically you can
> pack as many menubars as you want into a single window.  Thoughts?

Yup this indeed a stickler.  Given the current hodge-podge of menu
creating routines, plus the fact that menus are abstract in GTK (pop-up
menus, menubars, etc) doing this in an automated way seems to be very
difficult.  I would be in favor of adding an API that could take a
GtkMenu tree object and stick it up on the OS X menu bar.  This way GTK
apps could be modified as needed by the developer to better support OS
X, rather than try to make it automatic.  A program like the Gimp, for
example, would pose a real problem to automatically trying to manipulate
the OS X menubar.  Which menu do you display?  The one on the main
window, the one on the image window?  The developer usually has a good
idea of how to deal with that, so providing a simple API for that might
be the best way to go.  Of course doing it in such a way that the final
code need not be changed between platforms would still be a challenge.

Michael