Re: GTK+ Application class

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 00:25 +0200, Florian Boor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> > We have a document-based API using these five vfuncs:
>
> i do not think this is the correct way to go. A document based API is something
> you would expect from a specialized application object (or interface) but not
> from a generic one.

You can have both. A document-based application can be a specialization
of a non-document-based application.

That's what Bakery does.
http://bakery.sourceforge.net/reference/html/classBakery_1_1App.html

I've done this using a lot of C++ syntax, but I'm sure that we can get
most of the benefit in a C API, as long as we can tolerate the
awkwardness of GObject inheritance and vfuncs. And it seems that we can.

But it's a lot of hard work to get the API and behaviour right. The best
way to achieve that is to try to make an application use it. GEdit would
be a perfect candidate, though I suppose a simpler test example should
come first.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com