Re: GTK+ Application class

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 19:14 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> struct _GtkDocumentModelClass
> {
>   GTypeInterfaceClass iface;
>
>   GtkDocumentHandle *(*document_open) (GtkDocumentModel         *model,
>                                        const gchar              *uri,
>                                        gboolean                  read_only,
>                                        GtkDocumentOpenCallback   callback,
>                                        gpointer                  callback_data,
>                                        GError                  **error);
>   GtkDocumentHandle *(*document_save) (GtkDocumentModel         *model,
>                                        const gchar              *uri,
>                                        gboolean                  save_backup,
>                                        gboolean                  overwrite,
>                                        GtkDocumentSaveCallback   callback
>                                        gpointer                  callback_data,
>                                        GError                  **error);

these should be open_document and save_document, not document_... :-)

> Not every application has the same needs; but many of them use the same
> logic, or share the same structure.  Bindings for object oriented
> programming languages already offer such a base class, abstracting some
> of the GTK+ functions like gtk_init(), gtk_main() and gtk_main_quit(),
> in order to fit them into an OOP approach.

yes, a gtk_application_new() could do all that (gtk_init, gtk_main and,
when destroyed, gtk_main_quit).

> There has been also a definite movement towards a set of abstractions
> for desktop usage: the GtkSession API from Dan Winship, the
> GdkScreensaver API from Rodrigo Moya, the network state abstraction I
> proposed; all of these makes sense when handled by a single application
> class.
>
> Finally, the GtkUniqueApplication class makes little sense if we don't
> provide non-unique application class.

rather than GtkApplication/GtkUniqueApplication, I guess it would make
more sense to have a "unique" property on the GtkApplication class.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>