custom widget

Sorry about posting in the gtk dev area, but this is borderline app dev/gtk dev.

Anyway, I'm making a custom widget, and when I try to create a signal...
signals[MOVE_CURSOR]=g_signal_new("move_cursor", G_OBJECT_CLASS_TYPE(gobject_class), G_SIGNAL_RUN_LAS | G_SIGNAL_ACTION, G_STRUCT_OFFSET (GtkLabel2Class, move_cursor), NULL, NULL, _gtk_marshal_VOID__ENUM_INT_BOOLEAN, G_TYPE_NONE, 3, GTK_TYPE_MOVEMENT_STEP, G_TYPE_INT, G_TYPE_BOOLEAN)

I get the message..
(CustomWidget:3960): Glib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type 'GtkMovementStep'

so digging into the source, I find out that if I make a call to gtk_movement_step_get_type(), I will get this warning every time.

I found the code in gtktypebuiltins.c for gtk_movement_step_get_type(), and it seems that the etype is always 0.  So it keeps trying
g_enum_register_static (g_intern_static_string("GtkMovementStep"), values)

Which generates the message.

I'm having lots of problems porting my old custom widgets (from gtk 2.8 - maybe 2.4 - don't really remember) to gtk 2.10 because of all of the private functions (performing an nm on the library shows that the function is local and not global).  I also can't find any good custom widget examples that are friendly with 2.10 (except for the gtkdial in the examples).  If anyone can help me with this, I would gladly post my 4 custom widgets up for examples for others (once I get them working).  I tried taking the gtklabel widget and renaming it and all the functions to gtklabel2 - so as to simulate a correctly written widget for 2.10.  I get so many errors with this, so I must not be doing something right.

Thanks,
Mark
PS - I try not to bother ya'all, but I've been working on this for over a month now.

Do you Yahoo!?