Re: GtkCanvas requirements?

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 12:02 +0200, Sven Herzberg wrote:

> Well, isn't the "right" way to go the cairo path and make the
> communication of cairo and the GPU faster (that's "improve Xrender,
> the
> drivers etc.")? As this needs to be improved for a "GPU based GTK"
> anyway you won't get any advantage by adding this new level of
> "platform
> independence" to GTK (which is already available in cairo).

What I was envisioning is more along the lines of having the widget
system drawn as texture-mapped vertices in the GL, with the textures
being drawn by Cairo and such.  Some textures are repeatable, which
means once it is rendered one time then even upon configure events you
never need to render it again (except maybe for widget state changes).
Also, it could be theoretically possible to implement layout managers as
vertex shader programs.  These are just some ideas.

I'm not sure how this compares to doing the current system + Glitz
surfaces.  When you use Glitz, how is it drawing the surfaces?  If you
have 20 different Glitz surfaces in your window, does each one get
rendered with a separate GL pass?