Re: is glib too bloated?

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 12:33 -0500, Brandon Casey wrote:

> I am posting to suggest that glib has crossed a threshold
> of size and functionality and that users would benefit from
> a splitting of the library into two or more separate libraries.

For the record, I dont think glib is oversized or bloated at
all, I dont think its size is even a concern worth considering
even in embedded world, that being said...

It might be advantagous if alot of the glib data structures
were moved somewhere above libgobject in the stack (glibutils ?),
this way they could have the option of being gobject based,
opening a whole new world of possible code paths and also allowing
more generic access to these data structures through the gobject
api (hash tables and linked lists could possibly be serialized
by libglade and crammed through a network socket ? for an example of
a misc wild idea).

The biggest advantage to this, and everyone will disagree <here/>,
is that it would require breaking api in the platform - which is a
thing the platform is in dire need of (how is all the needed
refactoring going to get done if we cant drop support for all the older
widgets and older deprecated functionalities ?), in the end this is why
something like this reorganization of the stack will never happen until
affirmative action is taken and a dream like gtk+-3.0 is realized.

/me dreams on just for the sake of dreaming :)

Cheers,
                     -Tristan