Re: Ok to redirect http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/ to GNOME Library?

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 11:26:03PM +0200, Frederic Peters wrote:
> David Nečas (Yeti) wrote:
> >
> > What is the unversioned link to the latest available API
> > reference of a library?
>
> http://library.gnome.org/developers/gtk/ is a page listing available
> versions of the documentation;

But this does not allow to construct links, because

  http://library.gnome.org/developers/gobject/gobject-The-Base-Object-Type.html#GObject

does not exist, only versioned URLs such as

  http://library.gnome.org/developers/gobject/2.10/gobject-The-Base-Object-Type.html#GObject

I want to fix a particular cross-library link, for instance

  /home/mclasen/gnome-2.18/install/share/gtk-doc/html/gobject/gobject-The-Base-Object-Type.html#GObject

in Gtk+ API reference to something equivalent to

  http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gobject/gobject-The-Base-Object-Type.html#GObject

So, if only versioned URLs were available, the links would
have to point to a random version of GObject, determined by
what the guy making dists had installed.

> do you believe a "latest" symlink would
> be useful ?  As well as a "stable" symlink ?

A stable or latest alias would be definitely useful, but...
Let me explain: The conclusion on gtk-doc was that it is not
feasible to keep the on-line location of everything in
gtk-doc, instead libraries should advertise their on-line
reference base URLs (if there is any) and a mechanisms for
this and for base URL switching/correction have been already
implemented.

This would work well with the current state when each
library has one on-line location (containing the latest
version).  The new scheme leaves me wondering what to do
when one just wants to link to GObject (gboolean, whatever)
documentation.  What is the canonical link?  Is there any?

Also, the possibility to use relative links such as

  ../gobject/gobject-The-Base-Object-Type.html#GObject

that would work both on-line and in the typical off-line
installation has been lost as the new URLs are one directory
level more separated, though this is not a big problem.

Yeti

--
http://gwyddion.net/