Re: GTK+ Theming improvements

On Fri, 2007-31-08 at 02:42 +0100, Alberto Ruiz wrote:

> 2007/8/30, Milosz Derezynski <internalerror gmail com>:
>         The point about spatial awareness hit it right on the spot
>         really;
>         just as a throw in, i think something like this here should
>         (should as
>         in, it should be a goal to make it possible) doable:
>
>         http://futurepast.free.fr/buttonbox.png
>
> That would actually rock for the native Mac OS X theme (we need a
> theme for the ongoing port though), since the tabs  used in cocoa
> behave exactly like that. It would allow to improve the highlight for
> multiple selections as well. Do we need to break Gtk to achieve this?

As the engine gets the widget that is passed in you can do crazy hacks
based on that. I have actually implemented a hack like this for the
toolbar once. But to get this right what one needs is a way for
applications to hint where it makes sense to draw buttons connected, or
where it should not happen.

So this is something that I think needs a generic API to set hints (to
some extend attaching data to the widget could work today), and a
carefully designed specification that both themes and applications can
implement independently.

Benjamin