Re: g_format_file_size_for_display()

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:13:11 -0500
"Matthias Clasen" <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:

> We can make it _("kB"), and then people can use
> LANG=en_US.crazy-si-units if they really want that.

It's more than just a text display issue though. The matter also involves
how you divide the numbers down. And they get worse as you get bigger
units:

            1 000 B = 0.976 kiB
        1 000 000 B = 0.953 MiB
    1 000 000 000 B = 0.931 GiB
1 000 000 000 000 B = 0.909 TiB

Perhaps it didn't matter 30 years ago when the machine's storage could be
measured in kiB. But now we're up in the multiple GiBs of RAM, and
getting on for a TiB even in some home user's hard disks, the
inaccuracies get worse.

We can fix this.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd leonerd org uk
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/