Re: GtkBuilder Public API - Last call

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 18:26 -0300, Johan Dahlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During the Gtk+ developer meeting today it was decided that there will be a
> final GtkBuilder discussion before it gets committed to trunk.
> The current plan is that there will be a new developer release in the end of
> the week, most likely on friday and that GtkBuilder is going to be included
> in that release.

Hello,

We have a (I guess fairly common) use case in gedit and I'd like to know
whether it will be easier to deal with it using gtkbuilder than it was
with libglade.

Much of our internal structure is based around composite widget,
especially when it comes to dialog windows. So what we tend to do is
creating the window in glade, and getting the widget the dialog contains
in the C file to add it manually to our dialog subclass instance. This
works ok but with some ugly code and has a few drawback because dialog
options can't be specified in the glade file.

So what about some "GtkBuiltDialog" object class which would do that
automatically, while taking care of the dialog properties, and so being
able to inherit from it to ease the creation of such dialogs ?

What I'd like to do is something like the following (in python because
it's shorter than C, but the idea is the same). It looks cleaner to me
than what we currently have to do to have such a result.

class MyDialog(gtk.BuiltDialog):
	def __init__(self):
		gtk.BuiltDialog.__init__("dialogs.glade", "my-dialog")
		self.connect_signals(self.__dict__)

	def on_response(self, response):
		do_something()

	def on_reorder_button_click(self, button):
		self.reorder()

Do you like the idea ?

--
Steve Fr�naux