Re: Multimedia widgets in GTK+?

The slider is something that primarily annoys me in Totem. When Totem
is in full screen mode the slider/position bar is huge. You might have
to move your mouse several inches out of the way to get over to where
the slider current position is, then move it right back to where it
was before when you realize you can't click there and expect it to
move.

There are two valuable points to making the slider click-to-go-able.
1) Reduces arm fatigue from moving the mouse too much. I know this
might sound like BS but it really can get annoying and tiring having
to move the mouse to find the right spot to click. 2) This is
consistently something Windows users bicker at me about when trying to
use my computer to watch videos. And to make it worse, I bicker right
along with them because I hate its current behavior.

Do we have any usability info on expected behavior of sliders? Can
someone maybe mention this on the planet and ask for comments from
other users?

Martin

On 3/21/07, Michael Natterer <mitch gimp org> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 12:43 +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 12:24 +0100, Michael Natterer wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 23:14 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 19:39 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > Yes it is. We'd still need a different looking GtkScale though, to allow
> > > for the different behaviour on left-click.
> >
> > How is the appearance of the widget related to its behavior on
> > left-click?
>
> People get used to previous behavior, and like when they can associate
> appearance with behavior.

Maybe that is so. It doesn't make the original statement less wrong
however.

ciao,
--mitch