Re: Smooth Scrolling

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 07:37 +0100, Alex Jones wrote:
> A few years ago there used to be a distributor patch in Gentoo to enable
> this, and it was sweet. What happened, here?

I dunno, but it's more than sweet. Whoever remember the text editor
CygnusED, which had a very smooth scrolling, vblank-synchronized,
progressive, knows that this helps wonderfully to "know where you are"
once you have scrolled. Currently in GTK+, after hitting the scrollbar
you have to think for a moment to let your eyes find the cursor again.

To me, smooth scrolling is the same improvement than compiz/beryl is wrt
virtual desk switching. Except it was already implemented on low-end
hardware 15 years before :)

	Xav