Re: Smooth Scrolling

Hello,

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 07:37 +0100, Alex Jones wrote:
> A few years ago there used to be a distributor patch in Gentoo to enable
> this, and it was sweet. What happened, here?

As far I know, the patch isn't yet clean enough for upstream integration
and work back then (gtk2.6 times) on it didn't get that far for it to be
fit. It also adds to the GTK+ API public functions which might not have
been the best choice.
It can most probably be modified to be acceptable, but as that is harder
then no-one has stepped up to do it yet.

The patch is still out there in Gentoo mirrors until gtk2.6 is available
in package repository - one such direct link to one of the mirrors is
for example:
http://gentoo.osuosl.org/distfiles/gtk+-2.6-smoothscroll-r5.patch.bz2

Maybe it is of help for making a clean patch that can be applied to HEAD
at some point, and possibly even considers all the additional things
that help with smoothness, like vsync, scrolling speed or other things
discussed in other subthreads.

With Regards,
Mart Raudsepp
Developer of Gentoo Linux (gnome, wxwidgets)
http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/leio