Re: Sudden Tango changes in trunk

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 10:10 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:49:44 +0200 Jakub Steiner wrote:
> >
> >To be honest I don't want to bother with all this work to provide an
> >'alternative' icon theme. The unique gnome 2.0 style make gtk apps on
> >platforms such as MS Windows or Mac OS X totally out of place. I'm
> >quite sad to see you hold on to that.
>
> I don't think the correct solution here is to try to make a
> one-size-fits-all default stock icon theme.  Why would we even *want*
> the default icon theme to be tailored to MS Windows or MacOS X[1]?

Because GTK+ is a cross-platform toolkit, and it's stock icons need to
reflect that design goal.

As Andreas said before, the metaphor of the original icons have been
preserved. All they are doing is refreshing the colour palette. So I
don't see the need for all this alarm.

> I think it makes more sense for someone (doesn't have to be you, Jakub,
> but if you wanted to, that's great) to create a theme that fits in well
> on MS Windows, and another that fits in well on OS X, and these can be
> distributed in installers/bundles for those OSes as the default there
> (and bundled separately as just an icon theme tarball for people on
> other OSes who like them).

This wouldn't work too well. MS Windows just doesn't have much of an
icon "style" to begin with. Microsoft seem to rework their icons for
each new Windows release, causing a lot of visual disparity among all
the applications targeted towards the platform. In short, creating
special "MS-Windows" icon theme wouldn't do much good.

regards,

Vincent