Re: gobject introspection

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 12:34 -0500, Michael Lawrence wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering what is happening with GObject introspection. It seems
> that it has been in the works for some time now but that development
> has stalled.

Nod, very interesting project also IMO, unfortunate that we dont have
the resources to bring all the good ideas to completion ;-)

> Here are somethings IMHO need to be considered before introspection is
> ready for prime-time:
>
> 1) What are the overall goals of the project? From what I gather the
> goals are twofold:
>   a) To define a common representation (GIDL) for GObject-based API's.
> Binding generators can then be ported to use a standard format rather
> than the current assortment of defs files, GAPI, etc.

I dont know much about this project status but I think some people
have already managed to generate gobject library based language
bindings based on the description format - from what I understood
its just the generation of the GIDL description from source files
that was missing from the project.

But on that note, one thing I thought would be a really cool thing
to do with this stuff is translate source code statements from
one language to another (or mostly from C to another) - particularly,
I was hoping that Anjuta could use this to generate a signal handler
stub in the "language of choice" when a user added a signal to an
object in the glade plugin... anyway that was my pie in the sky idea ;-)

Anyway, ^5 to anyone who actually writes the code :)

Cheers,
                 -Tristan