-----Original Message-----
From: gtk-devel-list-bounces gnome org
[mailto:gtk-devel-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Federico Mena
Quintero
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:58 AM
To: Kristian Rietveld
Cc: gtk-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Tap and Hold API

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 12:15 +0200, Kristian Rietveld wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 07:47:25PM -0500, Federico Mena Quintero
wrote:
> > You have two tap-and-hold actions: pop up a menu and pop up a
tooltip
> > with extra info.  Should those have the same "I'm armed" animations?
>
> Yes, I would say that for both of those actions the animations should
be
> the same; for both of them the user is holding down the stylus and you
> want to show the same indication that the system is doing "something
> with that action" regardless of what will show up next.

Okay, then.  So you should follow the current fashion of posting a video
of this in action, so that we can a) drool at your sexy handheld
gadgets, and b) drool at the APIs :)

> >   tap-and-hold-keysym = "FunkyKey"
> >
> > in your ~/.gtkrc?
>
> Yes, but probably with a default key combination in GTK+ modifiable
via
> key themes.

Are there handheld thingies besides Nokias which have a similar
"immediate tap-and-hold key"?  One of those pushable-wheel thingies may
let you change the focus by rotating the wheel, then
immediate-tap-and-hold by pressing the wheel (then pick a menu item with
the wheel again).

I think I want one now.

  Federico