Re: glib memory allocation problems

On Fri, 11 May 2007, Dimitrios Apostolou wrote:

On Fri, 11 May 2007 13:55:25 +0200 (CEST)
Tim Janik <timj gtk org> wrote:
it's likely that some code portions erroneously use GSlice and thus screw
up the memory handling at some point. G_SLICE=debug-blocks is really the
recommended way to find those errors and much faster than trying
valgrind (and definitely more accurate about slices).

Hello,

I reproduced the crash using G_SLICE=debug-blocks, this time using a different usage scenario (the one described at http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=E1Hjvl8-0006OR-00%40dorka.pomaz.szeredi.hu ). Unfortunately the program didn't output any debugging text like the one you describe in your blog. So I got another backtrace and kept that coredump too so that I can run any command you tell me.

So does the attached backtrace means anything to you?

seems you managed to crash around the slice debugger doing realloc().
more interesting than the backtrace should actually be the
program output.
if you saw something like:
  GSlice: MemChecker: attempt to release block with invalid size...
then you actually have something to fix.
if not, i suspect you have a bad memory corruption somewhere, e.g.
where you're writing into already released memory regoins.
that can cause crashes pretty much everywhere.

Thanks in advance,
Dimitris

---
ciaoTJ