Re: Hinting GtkEntry

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 13:13 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Would it be better to just support an icon inside the entry? (how many
> different use cases are there really for this, maybe all of them should
> just be supported directly?)

I know this is slightly different, but I've needed to play with GTK
Entry for a "..." type chooser option, and encountered difficulty in
making it look consistent. The widget code is mostly copy-pasted from
GtkComboBox, as it aims to look the same.

Screenshots are at:

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/ui/

Specifically:

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/ui/footprint_picker2-crop.png

(How it looks in clearlooks)

and:

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/ui/gschem_dotdot_box.png

(How I wanted it to look - made by hacking clearlooks).

Another option I considered was:

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/ui/footprint_picker-crop.png

(Using libsexy), but I prefer the "..." button concept.

Is this something which has similar issues regarding consistent theming?

Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,
University of Cambridge,