Re: GVfs status report

On 9/4/07, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:

> If we want to use gvfs in Gnome 2.21 there are two possibilities:
> 1) Release next glib before the next Gtk+ release
> 2) Temporary ship gio in a separate module, which we later move to glib
>   (pkg-config should magically make this work for users as long as the
>   packages etc conflict properly)
>
> Both of these have the disadvantage that we can't use gio in
> Gtk+. There are a bunch of UI helper dialogs etc that would be nice to
> have there, but they are not critical.
>
> Opinions?

I think doing a glib release for 2.21 with gio is at least worth discussion,
but as was already mentioned, it would probably be good to have some
real-life experience with the api in the form of nautilus and file-chooser
ports before committing to the api as part of glib.

I don't really know what to do about the GTK+ parts; having them in a
libegg-like gvfs library until the next GTK+ release would not be the
end of the world; imo.

> Anyway, please check out at least the gio module and have a look at
> it. Please. Pretty Please.

Here are some very initial impressions:

- why do the GAppInfo launch functions take filena,es/uris, but not generic
 arguments ?
- there is a g_app_info_set_as_default_for_type(),  but there seems to be no
  way to let an app hande a content type without being the default ?
- what is "native", exactly ? is there a difference between native and local ?

Playing around with the demo programs a bit, I did

touch foo
./gio-cat gio-cat.c | ./gio-save --backup foo

which yields

Error closing: Error removing old backup link: No such file or directory

and leaves a .goutputstream-6VXKYT file behind.