Re: How to detect display speed in custom widget?

Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 20:47 -0700, Daniel Yek wrote:
I'm wondering if anybody is experienced in writing smart widget that would react differently depending on whether the current display is local/fast for graphics animation or remote/slow where all animation should be kept to the minimum?

What techniques are suitable for drawing speed detection?
The cheapest hack is probably to see if the X server supports the MITSHM
extension.  If it doesn't, odds are you are on a remote display.

Hi Federico,

Thanks for the tips! That sounds useful!

[This assumption breaks under VNC, but I guess that's pretty hard to
detect anyway.]

I think VNC is not a problem, because it doesn't send every frame over the network, so it won't "crawl."

Thanks!

--
Daniel Yek.

  Federico