my ongoing fantasy of garbage collected C programming

I've tried several times now to get Hans-Boehm
(http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/) working with gtk, but so
far no luck.  I found all the stuff about how to build glib to be GC
friendly and set env vars and such, and then I rebuild almost all of the
lib stack on top of it (except atk and the X libs themselves). I still
end up with strange failures and seg faults that go away if I just
remove -lgc from the link flags.  I don't free anything by hand so its
got to be something the GC is doing.

I'm hoping that the presence of the gc-friendly build support in glib
means that somebody knows how to make this work. I would really love to
know how to do it. I won't go into the different gc builds and such that
I've tried unless someone is interested.

Thanks,
Britton