GLib String support

Hi...

My first objective here was to redesign the Unicode property tables but I realized that it is the wrong starting point to start developing so as the title suggest I propose myself to optimize the basic string support of GLib (gstring, gstrfuncs and others) I already started optimizing the gutf8.c (bugzilla) and as I see in gstrfuncs.c there are some things that can be done.

But before I start developing I would like what are the guidelines used in developing (say error checking, nul-pointers checking, g_new failures)?
Please comment...

acfryx