Re: RFC: Deprecate GTK_{RESPONSE,STOCK}_{YES,NO}

Am Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:00:05 +0200
schrieb Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>:

> Hi,
>
> The pure existence of GTK_RESPONSE_YES, GTK_RESPONSE_NO, GTK_STOCK_YES
> and GTK_STOCK_NO encourages creation of horrible user interfaces. One
> recent example is on Planet GNOME right now[1]. Other examples were
> posted on Planet GNOME in the past, and still exist in applications
> like OpenOffice.org.
>
> So I wonder if we should deprecated those symbols, in the hope that
> people obey the GNOME HIG and properly label the buttons of their
> message dialogs.

Hey,

you did find a really nasty example there indeed. "Would you like to
continue ignoring those warnings" does not only pose a rather bad
question, it also includes a small secondary icon and a secondary
message that looks simply confusing.

However I have doubts that deprecating these stock icons can help much
here. Even if the buttons weren't there, chances are that the developer
still uses Yes and No labels, or if he, say chooses "Ignore" and "Don't
ignore" instead and keeps the confusing layout with mutiple messages
and multiple icons, the situation isn't much different from before.

Just my two euro cents,
    Christian