Re: gtk+ speed

2008/12/22 Eugene Gorodinsky <e gorodinsky gmail com>:
> question. My first impression when I looked at the architecture (using
> GObject etc.) was that this must take quite a bit of processing cycles and
> memory. So my question is: is there any room for improvement by rethinking
> the architecture (using Vala for some of the things maybe?) with gtk+ 3.0 in
> the works this question bothers me a bit :)

This has been discussed in the past. My memory is that if you take a
typical app and profile it, you find that for typical tasks (eg. the
framerate when resizing a window) less than 10% of the runtime is
spent in GObject machinery.

Of course that's just from memory :-( I've probably got it wrong.
Anyway, the point being, before considering architectural changes you
need to perform experiments, make measurements, and try to predict the
gains you might be able to achieve. At the moment, as far as I know,
there is not much evidence that GObject is a significant factor in GUI
speed and responsiveness.

(

John