Re: g_locale_from_utf8 and minus sign

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell wfu edu> wrote:

> I judged it a devel issue because it raised a question about
> whether glib was doing the right thing in not converting U+2212 to
> "the nearest" character in ISO-8859-1, 0x2D.  However, I accept an
> offlist response from Dom Lachowicz, namely that these are
> different characters and so glib is right not to convert.

This is really a question about iconv behaviour, since glib doesn't do
its own conversion. And I guess when you as the iconv developers about
this, they
will tell you that iconv is not about guessing the 'nearest'
character, but rather
about recoding characters from one coded character set to another. A
hyphen is not the same character as a minus, thus iconv won't recode
the latter to the former, even if they look similar on paper. I agree
that it would be more useful
if iconv _would_ do what you expected it to do...

Matthias