GTK+ recent manager and RTL issues

Hi,

Recent menus all over GTK+ applications suffer from misaligned text when
they insert characters to make shortcuts, typically numbers (1, 2, 3...)
each corresponding to a recent item entry.

Basically:

If the application is started in RTL, and the filename is in LTR
characters, the recent menu name is rendered LTR and that is ugly for
RTL languages.

The same thing happens when filename is RTL and app is LTR.

Here is a screenshot:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=102707&action=view

I started fixing this by patching the applications directly, forcing
them to make the menu item to be RTL by using RLM.

Some developers rightfully suggested that handling this should probably
belong to GTK+, by prepending RLM or LRM based on the direction of the
application using gtk_widget_get_default_direction(). The shortcuts
(numbers) are direction neutral so they will align correctly.

My own opinion is that this belongs to the applications since
gtkrecentmanager is not directly handling the presentation of the recent
menu lists, even though it may look bad at first to fix it for all
applications that have a recent menu list.

What do GTK+ developers think?

Related bugs (evince, eog, gedit, totem...)
bug #509073
bug #509080
bug #509079
bug #509076