Re: gtk+ and randr

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 16:57 -0400, Ben Gamari wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> As many of you probably know, GTK+ has apparently been calling
> XRRGetScreenResources() on startup for some time now. Having a laptop, I
> occasionally find myself using VGA displays which, for the last few
> months, flickered horribly when starting a gtk+ application due to EDID
> probing (as I reported in bug #16224 [1]). Earlier this week, this issue
> was worsened when I pulled down the latest xorg commits from git. On my
> intel hardware, even the LVDS output now flickers when starting a gtk+
> application.
>
> While I have run across a few discussions[2][3] on how to resolve this
> issue, I haven't seen any definitive plans. Most of the proposals I've
> seen from the gtk+/gnome people revolve around doing caching in the X
> server. Is this a reasonable course of action from the perspective of
> the X server?  Discuss.

I've already sent a mail about it around 3 months ago, with no one being
interested in fixing this.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg/28476

Fixing it is just a matter of API. I'm waiting for the powers that be to
actually tell us which direction it should be taking.

Cheers

PS: the xorg ML sucks and will probably drop my mail.