Re: GObject-Introspection

On Jun 1, 2008, at 11:09 , Curtis Hovey wrote:

On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 10:53 -0500, Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
Hi there,

On Jun 1, 2008, at 10:00 , Johan Dahlin wrote:

[gobject introspection stuff]

Too bad gobject-introspection depends on python-2.5. Is
it going to be a dependency only for gobject-introspection
itself, or is it going to be a dependency for projects
which use gobject-introspection, i.e. will a user need
python-2.5 to build a foobar package which happens to provide
or use introspection data?

Best regards,
Yevgen

P.S. Python-2.5 is not old, it's about a year old and I
don't have it on this machine, where I am running gtk
from trunk. It might be old enough for folks who do python,
but not for everybody ;)

Python 2.4 is not supported. 2.5 is the 18 months old and is the stable
version to be developing to. Versions 2.6 and 3.0 will be released in
September of this year.

And C99 is the current C standard... I mean, what python
maintainers say is one thing (they still make security
releases for 2.3 and 2.4, no?), and what's installed is
another thing. Question is whether it's okay to ignore
older systems, especially when newest python is needed
only for its new syntax. If the answer is "yes", fine,
new python is fun and all that. I just was surprised by
that, because e.g. pygtk, a python package, still supports
python-2.4.

Best regards,
Yevgen