Re: ChangeLog format

Johan Dahlin wrote:
> Cody Russell wrote:
>> Is there a definitive format we should be using right now in ChangeLog?
>> I mean mostly where we put the bug# and stuff.  I noticed that recently
>> there are two different formats being used:
> [..]
>> Does it matter which one I use when committing stuff, or is there a
>> preferred way of doing it now?
>
> I always try to do:
>
> 2008-05-27  Matthias Clasen  <mcl     redhat com>
>
>           * gtk/gtkprintunixdialog.c: Disconnect signal handlers when
>           the dialog closes. (#531008, Yevgen Muntyan).
>
> Where the name(s) after the bug are all persons involved in solving the bug.
>
> Which I think that I picked up from Matthias, but it appears he's not using
> that format any longer.

I do something similar. I always have the format:

  "Fixes bug #123456 (foo, bar, baz)"

I do this in the same line as I describe the changes (like your example
above). This works perfectly with the maintainer script I wrote (which
extracts all bugs (since a last tagged version) and all names related to
bugs to generate release notes and other useful information.

For more information, see the homepage.

  http://developer.imendio.com/projects/misc/maintainer

This format can of course be updated if a format is agreed. The
maintainer script uses a simple regular expression to match this
information.

Martyn