Re: canvases in 3.0 [was Re: Steps to get to GTK+ 3.0]

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 3:52 AM, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> I really like the obvious sanity of your gtk-with-scene-graph idea, but
> I do wonder when it's likely to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I don't *expect* it to happen - I mean, it's
completely feasible if the right person worked on it, but there's no
guarantee the right person will show up, so we can't count on that.
And even if someone hacked on it, it would take a long time to get
done and merged.

The intent is not to "stop energy" on a simpler more standalone
canvas. I think such a thing would be worth doing, but, as I said, I
think it's very challenging to figure out how to define the scope of
what should be included in GTK and then from there understand which of
the many canvas projects is the right model for what should be in GTK.
And I don't *expect* this to happen either, for basically the same
reason as the scene graph - there's no guarantee the right person will
show up.

For both of these canvas projects I think the right person is not only
a good developer but also capable of articulating and defending some
high-level points about the goals and non-goals of the canvas project
so everyone can reach a shared understanding on that.

As always in free software, we know some people will show up and do
*something*, but we can't count on people showing up to do anything
*in particular*.

Havoc