GFileMonitor API improvments?

Hi all,

For the Tracker project we need to know certain things when monitoring
the file system depending on each backend used (inotify/fam/polling/etc).

Currently if we use inotify, we check
/proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches (which on my Ubuntu box is 8192)
and we take that value and only allow monitors of 8192 - 500, that way
other applications are able to still set monitors and Tracker doesn't
steal 100% of the monitoring capacity.

With FAM, we set the maximum to 400, simply for performance reasons.

With Polling, again, we set the maximum to 100 for the performance
reasons too.

Currently we have no way with the new GFileMonitor API to know what
backend we are using. Of course we could try using
G_IS_INOTIFY_DIRECTORY_MONITOR() if that was made public but calling
that EVERY time on each monitor is a bit much too.

Would a patch to add an API which returns the file monitoring backend
and the limit (if any) be accepted?

Martyn