Re: exporting _gtk_selection_request for selection manager use

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 17:50 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> Load large spreadsheet, click "select all", watch your eager clipboard
> manager suck down lots and lots of data, probably in duplicates
> converted to all possible data types the spreadsheet can convert to. And
> this may happen even for in-process cut&paste, greatly slowing it down
> and causing it to serialize all data.

This is exactly what happens (or at least used to happen) when people
run klipper or glipper and use GIMP. You are working on a large image
and want to duplicate a layer, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. Within GIMP this is a
copy-on-write operation and happens almost immidiately, even for large
layers. If you have one of those misbehaving clipboard managers running,
it will ask GIMP for this data in various formats and GIMP will be busy
for several minutes dealing with this request.

This is absolutely pointless as GIMP is a nice application and pushes
the contents of the clipboard to the clipboard manager when it exits.
All we really need is an implementation of the clipboard manager spec.
And as far as I know gnome-settings-daemon does this.

Sven