Gtk color API

Hi All,

I have requirement of making boxes filled with colors without any functionality.
To acheive this i am using the labels and trying to fill them with colors
 as doing it with other widgets i am not able to figure out...

I am using following code to acheive it but i am not getting any output...

GtkWidgets *labels[2];
GtkWidget color;

 for(i = 0; i<2; i++)
 {
  labels[i] = gtk_label_new("");
 }
 gdk_color_parse("red", &color);
 gtk_widget_modify_bg(GTK_WIDGET(labels[0]), GTK_STATE_NORMAL, &color);

 gdk_color_parse("green", &color);
 gtk_widget_modify_bg(GTK_WIDGET(labels[1]), GTK_STATE_NORMAL, &color);

 I am trying to pack these in a box but that is not working though i am not getting any errors.

Please let me know if some one has similar functionality in any application? How i can acheive this?

Regards,

Nisha