Re: Rumination on offscreen-ng

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 09:42 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 16:28 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > Some consequences:
> >
> >  - Invalid and damage regions are kept per native-target not per window.
>
> What about paint regions (and their pixmaps)? Should we try to combine
> these to the native target too?

There are obviously some external constraints here: in particular,
begin_paint()/end_paint()/process_updates() can be called on
windows without a native target, and that needs to be handled, at least
in some minimal fashion.

And when passing redraws to GDK, there continues to be GdkExposeEvent
per GdkWindow

But in the normal case where redraws are coming from GDK (or the
windowing system) I would expect a single paint pixmap to be created for
the entire drawable target, and all repaints for that drawable target
handled in one go.

- Owen