Re: [cairo] gobject boxed types

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> Actually I just had a random thought - what about putting this code
> into pangocairo?  All of Gtk+, GooCanvas, HippoCanvas and Clutter
> depend on Pango, and Pango depends on both cairo and gobject.  It's a
> bit of an odd fit but the dependency graph would remain unchanged.

cairo-glib seems a bit like shooting a squirrel with a bazooka, in
terms of adding another tarball someone has to release and adding more
overhead to symbol lookups in all apps.

Stuffing in other libs seems more appropriate. If anyone ever
implements the GIO or GdkRegion stuff it could be in any of cairo,
pangocairo, or GDK and be fine in any of those places.

Or, here is the outrageous hack idea of the day: have a library that
consists only of get_type functions for *all* non-glib-dependent libs,
and it does dlopen(NULL) to grab the copy/free functions rather than
linking to any of the libs, throwing a runtime assertion if the app
doesn't link to the copy/free stuff that gets used ... throw this
library into the glib tarball ... it could deal with dbus in addition
to cairo ... scared yet?

Havoc