Re: string return result conventions

Am Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:20:41 +0200 (CEST)
schrieb Tim Janik <timj imendio com>:

> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > clearly, the best overall thing would be to actually return the
> > unicode strings themselves rather than convert them (needlessly?) to
> > utf-8.
>
> Strings handed out by the Gtk+ API and also strings passed in to Gtk+
> API are/must be in UFT-8 format already, so there's no need for
> conversion here.

In this case I assume Luke is not referring to strings from Gtk+,
though, but rather from WebKit, which does work with UTF-16, and hence
the problem of having to allocate strings dynamically.

Returning anything else than UTF-8 in a Gtk+-API is not acceptable. If
that were an option, this discussion would be pretty much moot.

ciao,
    Christian