Re: [cairo] gobject boxed types

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
Colin Walters wrote:

Here is a patch, should apply to the latest git.

I also like to see gobject enum types for cairo.

Also, should the type names be CairoContext-like or simply cairo_t?  If this
is going to be used by introspection stuff, CairoContext sounds correct.

Cairo.Context is correct, if we include the namespacing.

Another pro argument here is that glib bindings like the one proposed are
meta-bindings, enabling automatic binding of cairo types to various languages.

As it stands [1], the proposed cairo-glib feature/library may also include
typelib data needed for glib introspection framework to automatically bind
cairo to supporting languages.  That saves quite some work of writing manual
bindings for cairo which is the case now.

[1] http://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection/CairoProblem

The GObjectIntrospection framework provides an XML format description of the API which is independent of gobject itself, that could be distributed/used outside of the glib bindings.

We also have typelib which /is/ dependent on glib, that should obviously go with the rest of the cairo-glib stuff.

I'm probably make it a separate .so.  The intereface to use it is no different
than having it in cairo.so.  One simply brings in cairo-glib pkg-config
dependencies.  Where the actual code lives is implementation details.  Any
objections to that?

Has to wait till after 1.8 at this point though....

This sounds perfectly fine to me.
It'll be trivial for gobject based applications to use cairo-glib instead of cairo in their configure/makefile.

Johan