Re: client side windows branch now in gnome git

On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 12:24 -0400, Louis E Garcia II wrote:
> Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > The client side windows code is now availible in the
> > client-side-windows
> > branch of gtk+ on git.gnome.org, rebased on the latest version of gtk+.
> >
> > I've updated the code pointers on
> > http://live.gnome.org/GTK%2B/ClientSideWindows and the status listed
> > there is pretty much up to date.
> >
> > We now have a somewhat working OSX backend (don't know the exact status
> > of it) and some initial work on getting the win32 backend to build.
> >
> > I think whats needed now, apart from the TODOs listed on the wiki is:
> >
> > * Get the win32 and OSX backends up to the X11 backend standard
> > * test the branch in daily use, so we can find all the bugs
> > * Write some docs on how this is supposed to work so that people can
> > start reviewing the code
> >
> > So, go play with it. It should be much easier to do now, with it being
> > it the official repository, based on the official git tree.
>
> Are there any plans for a XCB port of GTK+ for 3.0? As I understand xlib
> is in deep maintenance mode while apps and toolkits are ported.

Current xlib versions uses XCB underneath, although it adds quite some
extra bloat above it. However, Gtk+ on X11 is more or less bound to xlib
as xlib defines are exported via the gdkx.h header. On could concievably
do a libgtk-xcb-2.0.so in addition to libgtk-x11-2.0.so, and let apps
chose it. However, if any running app at all links to libgtk-x11 all the
advantages of using xcb and then some disappear.