Re: Proposal: Deprecate tab-pack child property in notebook for 2.18

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Alberto Ruiz<aruiz gnome org> wrote:
> So my proposal is to deprecate this child property for the 2.x series,
> so that we can get rid of it by 3.0, (meaning 2.18?).
>
> This would allow a long overdue cleanup in the notebook codebase and
> make it more manageable to include other features (tab sliding
> animations ala Google Chrome as an example?)
>
> Any thoughts? Am I talking crack here? Matthias? Kris? :-)

Okay I consulted Carlos on this one, because I thought the property
was operating on the contents of the tab, but apparently it is about
the tab itself.  I fully agree that this is an "interesting" feature
;)  I also see how this complicates the code by at least a single
order of magnitude.  When removing, the functions that Christian
pointed at should be taken into account.  (Maybe deprecate those two
functions and have separate accessors for the remaining tab-fill and
tab-expand properties?).

What I am still wondering about is the history of this feature.  Why
was it included in the first place?  Carlos says he thinks this was
included because of some effort to make all containers obey the same
child properties.

regards,

-kris.