Re: Speeding up thumbnail generation (like multi threaded). Thoughts please.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Christian Hergert<chris dronelabs com> wrote:
> Have you profiled to see if the bottleneck is CPU bound?  If its IO bound,
> you will only cause more contention by adding threading.
>
> At minimum, using a thread (or async gio) to load files and another thread
> that just thumbnails might be a good idea.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Christian
>
> Mark wrote:
>>
>>  is there anyone here that has experienced with this? is there
>> anyone i an work with on this? actually anyone that could help me
>> through this? i'm brand new in glib and new to programming in general.
>> I would like to give this a try but i'm afraid i can't do this alone.
>> So any information about this, help and thoughts would be nice.

Hi,

I haven't done io profiling but i did calculate the disc usage for
those 1927 files. and every benchmark was WAY below what my hdd could
handle (Spinpoint F1 1TB hdd and it can handle roughly 100MB/sec).

As for the CPU. i did "profiling" there. i just opened up gnome's
system monitor tool and just watch it during the benchmark. That gave
the result of 1 core running at 100% and 3 other cores idle thus there
is a cpu bottleneck with thumbnail generating.

About your suggestion for loading in a thread and thumbnailing in
another thread.. don't you get in big problems if the pc is
thumbnailing faster then it's loading? Or is that a impossible
scenario?

Mark.