Re: Speeding up thumbnail generation (like multi threaded). Thoughts please.

On 08/31/2009 09:03 AM, jcupitt gmail com wrote:
a very quick load-at-1/8th-size read where it just decompresses enough
to be able to get the DC component of each 8x8 block. If you use
libjpeg like this you can expect around a 100x speedup of the
decompress step.

The gdk-pixbuf jpeg loader does this already.

That's good, but I wonder if this feature is being used? I tried this
tiny program:

I believe this is where it happens:

http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gtk+/tree/gdk-pixbuf/io-jpeg.c#n924

- Mike