Re: gobject-introspection boilerplate

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to make a pango devel release but I can't get the
> gobject-introspection stuff happy.  Main reason is that it requires 0.6.2 but
> rawhide only has 0.6.1, but there's also a bunch of autotools-related
> improvements that can be made.  Since this stuff is copied in more than one
> module I'm writing here.  I can make the changes to pango tonight if that helps.

Yeah, I should have done that. My autofoo is not strong enough to do macros yet.

> Moreover, it would be a good idea to add --enable-introspection with a default
> value of auto, to give people (distros, etc) full control on whether to
> (re)build the introspection stuff.

Right, it probably makes sense to be able to disable it.

> Finally, when I try to "make dist" or "make distcheck", I should get an error
> if introspection is not enabled.  Otherwise I may make a release with stale
> .git files.  To do that check how gtk-doc does it:
>
> if ENABLE_GTK_DOC
> dist-check-gtkdoc:
> else
> dist-check-gtkdoc:
>        @echo "*** gtk-doc must be installed and enabled in order to make dist"
>        @false
> endif
>
> dist-hook: dist-check-gtkdoc

We should try putting this in a macro or included through a Makefile which
is distributed by introspection.

> And, one last point, we should advise automake that distcheck should enable
> introspection.  This is done in the toplevel Makefile.am:
>
> DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS = --enable-gtk-doc

Oh, I wasn't aware of that piece of magic.

I'm not sure that I can find time to write a proper .m4 and test it this week.
I guess someone else has to volunteer or we have to revert the patch until
I can find time to do it properly.

Johan