Re: GLib plans for the next cycle

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:

>> Would DBus be swappable here for something else on non freedesktop
>> environments? (Windows, Mac)
>
> Just wondering if an easy way like "make this API UNIX-only" is an
> option that can be considered?
>
> In the end I don't expect the use of dbus in the rest of the glib/gtk+
> stack API to be visible (but maybe I'm naive here).

Not sure what that 'something else' would be on win32 or os x. Anyway,
dbus works fine on os x, as far as I know. And I think there is a
working win32 port around (even if it hasn't been merged back into
dbus proper yet).

That being said, I'd expect that at least for some of the anticipated
use cases of dbus (unique appllications, session client) there will be
native apis on other platforms that GTK+ apis would wrap, instead of a
dbus-based implementation.
But I haven't done any actual research on this...

Matthias