Re: g_malloc overhead

Am Montag, den 26.01.2009, 12:40 +0100 schrieb Martín Vales:
> Paul LeoNerd Evans escribió:
> > On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:43:57 +0100
> > Martín Vales <martin opengeomap org> wrote:
> >

> >> Other overhead i see is the open dir/file funtions, where in windows we
> >> need do the utf8 to utf16 everytime in windows. If JAVA,.NET and Qt use
> >> utf16 by default why in gnome world we use utf8 by default?.
> >>

> > Probably one of the biggest reasons, is that UTF-8 does not use \0
> > octets, whereas UTF-16 does. This means that UTF-8 data can transparently
> > pass through all of the usual str*() functions in C, such as strlen(),
> > strcpy(), etc...
> >

> I can see the advantages of use utf8 but the true it´s most of people
> use utf16. I know gnome/linux/cairo/freedesktop promote utf8 but most
> people use utf16:
> http://unicode.org/notes/tn12/#Software_16

Currently C doesn't support for UTF-16 literals. The wchar_t type is 32
bits on Linux. So instead of:

	do_something ("abc")

you'd suddenly have to write:

	const utf16_t abc_literal[] = { 65, 66, 67, 0 }; /* "abc" */
	do_something (abc_literal);

I really don't see how this would help.

Ciao,
Mathias
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
Personal Blog: http://taschenorakel.de/mathias/